Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Coolio's Not-So-Fantastic Voyage


File this under: "Things That Make Me Embarrased to Say I Love TV." I may have to get bigger folders.

Apparently, lady-friendly network Oxygen just greenlight a series starring former 90's rap star and wacky hair-guy Coolio. The show, titled Coolio and the Gang, follows the OG on the trials and tribulations of being a single parent raising half a dozen teenagers, while trying to start his own clothing line.

If you aren't cringing already, just wait. Oxygen's President of Programming likened Coolio And The Gang a modern-day, real-life My Three Sons.

No flippin' way. I was an avid fan and supporter of Coolio. Then, he had to go and do this to me. If not done correctly, CATG could be an estrogenized,  version of Run's House...but worse. I didn't think it could get any worse. 

Too his credit, reality shows about families can go either way. I didn't like The Osbournes, but House of Carters was a hidden gem. The Coolio family (does he have a last name?) could be dynamic and witty. The show could be groundbreaking....or it could be the remains of Growing Up Gotti rising up like an urban phoenix.

Coolio, if you're reading this, do what you can to get out now. Just remember what you said to a 10-year-old me in your hottest jam to date " Gangsta's Paradise."

"Too much television watching, got me chasing dreams"

0 comments: