Thursday, October 4, 2007

America F*@& Yeah!


Ugly Betty star, America Ferrera, was named Hispanic Woman of the Year by Billboard Magazin and the Hollywood Reporter.

I am an Ugly Betty convert and I must say, any award Ferrera takes home is well deserved. However, her honor brings other issues to the surface.

The award is meant to honor Hispanic women in film, television and music. Sadly, when I think of all of the TV I watch, and its a lot, I can only name a few other Latina women with lead or supporting roles. The short list includes:

  • Salma Hayek (Producer, guest star, Ugly Betty)
  • Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives)
  • Ana Ortiz (Ugly Betty)
  • Rita Moreno (Cane)
4. I'm know there are more, but it's sad that I can't make it through one hand. The addition of Cane, to the fall line-up helped , but it didn't put the problem to bed.

Representation is an issue for all people of color, but this is even more unsettling due to the growing Latino/a population in our country. Is it too much to ask for our TV characters to catch up with quickly shifting U.S. demographics? Judging from the list above, apparently it is.

Congrats America.

0 comments: