As a tie-in with Chinese New Year, Nick Jr. premiered their new show, Ni Hao Kai-Lan. Similar to Dora The Explorer, the show has been in the works for nearly four years. But to keep up with our changing world and global economy, instead of Spanish this little darling teaches the kiddies Mandarin.
I recorded an episode of the show and as I watched, I did the following:
- Said the following in Chinese: 1, 2, 3, hello, goodbye, jump, grandpa, and tiger
- Participated in a dragon boat race
- Helped a jumping monkey get a boat off of a pagoda
- Learned what to do when someone gets mad..in song no less
- Hung out with my friends ( a monkey, a tiger, an abstract hippo and a koala)
- Tickled the sun
- Did a dance for a giant dragon
Kai-Lan laughs a bunch and told me she made her heart feel super. Usually you need to put out to get that kind of compliment from someone. Not from Kai-Lan though. It was a fun half-hour, and it's refreshing to see children of other ethnicities getting a seat at the Nick Jr. table.
If she can cross over with the parents, Dora will have to take a backseat for awhile.