Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bloodier Than The Original: The 300th Post

It's the 300th post! Like the 100th and 200th before it, I will ring in the excitement with an obnoxious list. This go-round we're talking about my favorite 1980's theme songs.

Theme songs were different back then. They were a minute long, catchy and inspiring. My first attraction to TV came in the form of the Punky Brewster theme song and its been a love-affair ever since.


#5 Empty Nest (1988-1995)
This show was only okay but nothing beats watching old man Richard Mulligan stroll on the beach with his dog.

Favorite lyric: Sometimes the answers can be hard to find/That's something I will never be.


#4 Gimme A Break (1981-1987)
This theme song sucked until season three when they picked up the tempo and let Nell Carter sing it. And nothing beats her trying to strangle a bathroom scale.
Favorite lyric: Playing with fate/And not a moment too late/I'm showing the whole world nothing can get me down



#3 Growing Pains (1985-1992)
Let me clear: The theme song was always great, but it reached its peak in season 6 or 7 when it went acapella. It gave the long-running show a reverence BJ Thomas and Dusty Springfield just couldn't provide.
Favorite Lyric: Baby you and me/We've gotta be/The luckiest dreamers who never quit dreaming



#2 Just The Ten Of Us (1988-1990)
Fittingly, this Growing Pains spin-off comes in at number two. The show only lasted three seasons but it provided some pretty amazing moments along the way. Why the Lubbock Babes never caught on is beyond me.
Favorite Lyric: I'm always bringing home second places/At the end of every one of my days/ Look out because all of that's changin'



#1 Perfect Strangers (1986-1993)
This is not only a great theme song, it's a great song period. It's almost impossible to watch or listen to it without feeling amazing...or at least ready to watch 22 minutes of amazing comedy. Think the other shows can compete? Don't be ridiculous!
Favorite Lyric: It's my life/And my dreams/And nothing's gonna stop me now



0 comments: