Friday, March 14, 2008

The Return of Amy Sherman-Palladino


Amy Sherman-Palladino is ...

I am having a hard time completing that sentence. As the creator of Gilmore Girls, I want to say she is brilliant, fascinating, sharp and amazingly fast. Her work was some of most witty and underrated material on TV this decade, especially for female characters. After a long dry spell, she made me believe in fun television again.

But Sherman-Palladino left Gilmore Girls when the ladies made the jump from the WB to the CW, leaving her first love much worse for the wear. Gilmore Girls only lasted one more season without her at the helm and it was a very trying season at that.

But Sherman-Palladino is back. Sticking with the fairer sex, SP's new show ,The Return of Jezebel James, is about a busy career woman who convinces her estranged sister to serve as her surrogate. The show features trusted actresses Parker Posey (Waiting For Guffman) and Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under).

I want this show to be good. I have a great respect for Amy Sherman-Palladino as a writer and televisionary. The last season of Gilmore Girls shouldn't have had to be awful in vain. But I am hesitant. The reviews are pouring in ahead of the show's premiere tonight and they are far from complimentary. And Jezebel James' Friday night time slot certainly won't help it.

But I'm holding out hope. Amy Sherman-Palladino made me believe once, and now I will do the same for her.

The Return of Jezebel James premieres tonight on Fox at 8/7C.

0 comments: