Monday, March 24, 2008

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is...Instead of Food.


I didn't want to watch I Can Make You Thin. I was hesitant to give my time to a show that looked like hokum. But tonight it came on and I couldn't find the remote. The show's exuberant host, Paul McKenna, sucked me in with his charm and dapper accent. What the hell, I could stand to lose some weight. I watched for the whole hour.

McKenna is a weight-loss guru bases in the UK. His book is amazingly popular and he lectures all around the globe. He has success stories by the barrel full. One of them was on the show tonight and her story was dripping with sincerity.

McKenna gave four golden rules for weight loss tonight. Nothing too groundbreaking.

1. When you're hungry, go and eat
2. Eat what you want
3. Eat consciously
4. When you think you're full stop.

And apparently he comes back every week with more tips and ideas. He spoke through the TV. He kept saying " I'm speaking to you, at home, right now." I was suckered in like a seven-year-old watching a magic show. I wrote down my weight loss homework assignments and I plan on completing the little challenges this week. The show is on for 5 weeks and McKenna claims that those five weeks can really change the way you think about food.

This is an interesting challenge for me. I plan on taking McKenna up on his challenge not only to see if it works but to put some faith in TV. There is a lot of bullshit on television and that's saying it nicely. Is this guy legit or just out to sell books? I'm going to take five weeks and find out. You get to come with me.

As McKenna said, "What do you have to lose? You're already overweight."

0 comments: